Ralph Fletcher is the best-known author of books that get boys to write. Many of his books are written for boys themselves. At a recent reading conference, there were more than 500 teachers that packed the room to listen to him speak. He is gifted! If you need a book to help you motivate boys with writing – LOOK NO FURTHER! Not only did I read every single page of this book from cover to cover, I also wrote notes in the page margins on practically every page. This is how special this book is for getting boys to write.
Highlights from the book:
- Boys’ perception that writing is soft
- Boys would rather fail than look weak
- The gender based difficulties boys have relating to their teachers (90% of US teachers are female)
- Boys need a real audience. Let them share. They need a trusting community.
- They like to write for friends.
- Boys need choice! Encourage obsessions.
- Strictness = disengagement
- Guide violent writing, don’t ban it
- They love humor – p.63
- Video games
- They’ll find their own way to write: Texting, Email, IM, drawing
The Big Three:
- They need to have choice in their topic
- They love humor
- They naturally prefer to write about violence
A Question to Comment On:
What are examples of things that boys find humorous and why?