This book has a great introduction! Within only 164 pages, authors Elizabeth Knowles and Martha Smith give great information about problems and situations that are facing boys with literacy.
- Boys like to read short passages and prefer books with lots of visual support
- Great for Librarians, Parents, and Teachers…
- Interesting quote – “Classroom libraries, school libraries, summer reading programs, and required reading lists do not reflect the kinds of books that boys most enjoy.”
- This book has GREAT bulleted lists of strategies for changes at home as well as at school!
Different genres are discussed
- including a great introduction for each genre,
- a list of possible discussion questions,
- it concludes with a corresponding bibliography
Table of Contents:
- Information / Nonfiction
- Fantasy / Science Fiction
- Horror / Mystery
- Graphic Novels
- Realistic Fiction
A Question to Comment on:
Describe an experience when you were engaged in discussion with a boy about literature.