This book is a quick, must read for librarians.
- Boys’ reading level is an average of 1.5 years behind girls
- 85% of librarians and teachers are female.
- The lack of male teachers contribute to a boy’s perception that libraries are feminine.
- A few factors that discourage boys from reading include:
- absence of fathers,
- a lack of male role models in schools and libraries.
- Many teachers and librarians should alter their collections to meet the needs of boys.
- Interesting quote – “Boys tend to be more loud, boisterous, and physical than girls. When they exhibit these traits in the library, they are often shushed, glared at, and made to feel unwelcome in a hundred different ways – that is if they are not actually told to leave.”
- What boys read: Non-fiction, humor, sports, fantasy, adventure, etc.
- Competitive programs: chess, games, and other challenges
2 Questions to Comment On:
- Why are there so few male educators?
- Do you know of any neat programs that a library has done to attract boys?