1. Boys like their characters to be always moving and doing something. If the book doesn’t move fast enough, a lot of boys will s reading. Boys want facts and a fast plot.
2. Give books as presents. When you give him a soccer ball, include a book about it.
3. For them to read fiction, let it be full of information. Boys actually tend to gravitate toward non-fiction – about sports cars, mystery, magic, etc.
4. Bring them to the bookstore or the library and let him explore reading options. The secret there is involving him in the decision.
5. Boys will jump on books that interest them, but their reading level must be considered. If it’s too hard, they will drop it. If it’s too easy, they will get bored. So, make it a challenge that is not impossible for them.
Location: Setif, Algeria
Positions: Classroom Teacher Administrator, English Teacher
Hello, I salute you for what are you doing, every one have to do what you wrote over there, I am waiting for the second part I hope it will be interesting as this one.
That’s it..If everybody will follow your suggestions, then boys will get an interest right away to read books…
Position: Classroom Teacher
These advisory could really help parents on how to make their boys love reading. I will share this to my sister as well so that she can also make her son to love reading. Thanks for sharing this with us… couldn’t wait for the part 2 though.
Positions: Parent, Classroom Teacher
I agree with you especially with your number 4 tip: “Bring them to the bookstore or the library and let him explore reading options. The secret there is involving him in the decision.”
Involving your kid in choosing what to read is very important.
First, it says that you are supporting what he likes and he will be grateful for it.
And secondly, it saves you money (because you will not buy something which he will put away in his shelf for the rest of his life.)
~~~a stone is not carved by force but by constant friction~~~