My #1 Favorite Book of ALL TIME
I’ve read many books on Getting Boys to Read. Jeff and Michael’s book, Reading Don’t Fix No Chevys, has had the most impact on me and the hundreds of boys I have worked with over the years. This book provided concrete examples that really helped me undersatand what boys need to be successful in school. This book has been a HUGE inspiration in launching Getting Boys to Read.com and in my career as a Teacher-Librarian. I liked this book so much that I offered a free lunch for for teachers in my buidling that read it! I really liked how thorough their reearch was.
This book is a case study of a diverse mixture of 49 middle school and high school aged boys. Through tons of insightful interviews, you’ll get to know these boys and issues that they face around literacy. This book is great for
parents, teachers, and anyone that works with boys learning to read. It is highly engaging and a fairly quick read.
Be sure to listen to my audio interview with one of the authors, Jeff Wilhelm
- This book summarizes a year long study of 49 middle & HS boys
- Tons of insightful interviews
- P. 10 & 11: Great comparative summary of Achievement, Attitude, Choice, & Response
- P. 96-?: Competence, Control & Challenge
- Insightful comparisons to video games
- Chapter 5: Texts they like & why
- Importance of non-fcition / real events
- Boys prefer tons of visuals!
- In order to serve their needs, you must strive to understand them better
- Great tips for teachers at the end
2 Questions To Comment On:
- What is your interpretation of the title?
- If you read the book, what did you find interesting?